Suggest to rename project

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Sun Feb 18 20:24:07 UTC 2024

Hello!

On Sun, Feb 18, 2024 at 09:08:04PM +0330, Reza Mahdi wrote:

> Hello, all
>
> As others say, F5 can do many things, unfortunately. I think the main
> force lever of corporation is the name. Personally love the word nginx
> but ant derivative about it can make trouble specially for Mr. Dounin.
>
> I suggest to change the name. By the way it's Mr. Dounin's project.

The "freenginx" name expresses the goals of the project very well,
and therefore I would like to preserve the name as is, even if it
implies some risks.

IANAL, but from my understanding the name "freenginx" is
sufficiently different from the "NGINX" trademark F5 has.  And
there is a quite similar precedent in the past, the FreeBSD
project and BSD trademark.

If F5 will nevertheless decide to make a legal action against the
project, renaming the project would always be an option.

--
Maxim Dounin
http://mdounin.ru/