F5 taking over nginx

Jeff Silverman jeffsilverm at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 04:56:03 UTC 2024

People,

I used to work for F5 networks.  In fact, shortly after F5 bought nginx,
I applied for a customer support position to support nginx (I wasn't
hired).  I would be willing to walk down there (I live almost but not
quite within walking distance of their corporate HQ so I would actually
take a bus) and talk to them, to see if I could be the open source
coordinator for them.  They will probably say "no" but we won't know
until I ask.

Does anybody on this list have an opinion about take over?  I would like
to have some sort of "official" consensus before I do that.  Perhaps if
people want to give me some bullet points.

* What happened to MySQL when Sun bought them, and then Oracle bought
Sun?  How does mariadb compare with MySQL?  There is one article
(https://www.hostinger.com/tutorials/mariadb-vs-mysql) which says the
answer is "mixed".

*  I am going to teach a class in nginx starting soon (I can't go into
details because I signed an NDA).  One of the slides is very careful to
distinguish between nginx.org and nginx.com.  Now that nginx.org is
freenginx.org, that will actually make that slide simpler which is A
Good Thing, for very small values of "Good".

* Your bullet point here.

In terms of the trademark issue, Redhat had a series of meetings with
the people at CENTOS, at which time they hammered out what belonged to
Redhat and what belonged to the world through the GPL.  IANAL, but my
experience with various law suits is that one of the first questions the
judge is going to ask is "Did you attempt to negotiate a settlement
before hand?"  If the answer is no, then the judge will order some sort
of negotiation or arbitration.  Court room time is precious, and it is
cheaper to negotiate than to litigate.  Frequently, negotiation yields a
"fair" solution.

Please give this offer a bit of thought.

Thank you

Jeff